Mandala House is the oldest building in Malawi, constructed in 1882 as a destination for Mandala Trading Company’s managers. It is a cool colonial grand house, kitted in wraparound verandahs with amazing gardens. Checking oute the houses, you will encounter the Mandala Cafe, elective La Galleria art gallery and Library of Malawi, consisting of vast number of journals, galleries and books as far back as 19th century. This is a perfect place for spending time in learning the politics, history and wildlife of Malawi
St. Michael and All Angels Church was constructed from 1888 to 1891 of brick at the Blantyre Mission in Blantyre, Malawi. It is located on the original Scottish mission site, off Chileka Rd, and is in the Church of Central Africa, Presbyterian’s Blantyre Synod. It is believed to be the first permanent Christian church erected … between the Zambezi and the Nile”. Without a sketch or plan, and using bricks made on-site, with inexperienced men managed to erect an architectural masterpiece that remains a source of pride for the city today.
Likoma’s huge Anglican cathedral (1911), said to be the same size as Winchester Cathedral, should not be missed. Its stained-glass windows, crumbling masonry and sheer scale are testament to the zeal of its missionary creators’ religious conviction.
David Gordon Memorial Hospital had its foundation stone laid in 1910 and was opened in 1911. David Gondwe was Livingstonia’s first formally trained hospital assistant.
Livingstonia, in Northern Malawi is located in a spectacular location one thousand metres above the waters of Lake Malawi on the edge of the Nyika National Park. The Mission Station at Livingstonia was founded in the late 19th century by the Scottish clergyman, educationalist and explorer, Dr Robert Laws. Although Livingstonia is named after the famous missionary and explorer, Dr David Livingstone, it is thought that he never actually visited the place.
Town Hall / Queen Victoria Memorial Hall was built at the same time as the Boma completed in 1903. The facility only began serving as the town hall in 1933, having served as a cinema, library and Masonic Hall
The Old Boma (colonial administrative office) near the junction of Victoria Avenue and Haille Selassie road was constructed in 1887. This was originally the centre of government for the whole Protectorate, under the first commissioner, Sir Harry Johnstone, until the capital was moved to Zomba.
The tax office at the old boma building completed in 1939. Now serving as a tourist information office under the department of tourism.
The Chichiri Museum, also known as the Museum of Malawi, is a historical and cultural museum located in Blantyre, Malawi. The Museum of Malawi, initially known as the Nyasaland Museum, was established through legislation in May 1957. Chichiri Museum is situated 3 km southeast of St Michael and All Angels Church
Historical buildings in Malawi. The warm heart of Africa.