1. Africa Day is the annual commemoration of the 1963 founding of the Organization of African Unity (OAU), presently recognized as the Africa Union (AU).
2. Arabic is spoken by 170 million people on the continent, followed in popularity by English (130 million), Swahili (100), French (115), Berber (50), Hausa (50), Portuguese (20) and Spanish (10).
3. Did you know, Africa’s mining is well known and the continent produces at least 50% of the diamonds and gold in the whole world. The rest of the countries around the world contribute to the remaining 50% of the production of these precious stones and metal.
4. This Africa day is celebrated on 25 may in some countries. Its not a public holiday in all African countries.
5. Morocco is the only African which not a member of the Africa Union after it withdrew its membership.